Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wednesday

Swam 24 laps this morning. I need to get back into the a.m. running and have totally screwed up my schedule. Running at lunch here is crazy. Even at night it's too hot. The morning run is the best time. I'm going to do weights tonight, maybe bike, then set the alarms and try to get out of the house at 4am on a 7 mile run.

My son went off to school again and I found the left Brooks Beast shoe I've been looking for all summer. I'm guessing it was in one of his bags... so I ran in it yesterday and felt a few knee issues resurfacing so I won't run in it again. I'm a supinator, so the Pegasus, Shox, Nimbus etc work much better for me. I can really tell the difference when I run past 6 miles. It's espescially true for me on long runs, since I feel some knee pain accumulating. Shoes are important and even minor motion control tweaks make a big difference. I picked up a Nike Air Zoom Hayward at Below The Knee and will work that one into the rotation Friday or Monday.

There's a nice article in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer about J.D. Evilsizer, who coaches the Columbus State Cross Country team and the Smiths Station cross country and track teams. He has made a huge impact in this area, winning numerous state championships along with being a great mentor and successful teacher. I ran past him on Saturday morning while I was at the Riverwalk. The CSU runners were going out and I was coming back. I've met JD a lot over the years, and remember lots of times when he drove a big yellow school bus to 5Ks and 10Ks with Smiths Station runners (of all ages) loaded into it. The article couldn't possibly list all the great things he's done for the local running community.

2 comments:

Wes said...

So, how exactly did you find out your were a "supinator"? That's the first time I heard of that one.

Wes

mike said...

I have high arches and a fairly rigid foot. When I check the wear on my shoes, in the front of the shoes under the ball of my foot, most of the wear is on the outside. I've had people watch me run from behind just to verify that I'm not pronating at all, just neutral w/ mile suppination.