Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tuesday

5.7 miles around the lake again, the first lap a little slower than the 2nd two laps. Each lap is 1.9 miles. I usually warm up for about the first half mile then fall into whatever pace I set.

My heartrate is getting back to normal now after the marathon. It was higher than normal for a couple of weeks.

I'm doing 3 things this spring that might make a difference in my 5K times. First, I'm sticking to a training plan and doing tempo runs and hills/intervals. Second, I'm trying to lose about 10 pounds. And third, I'm doing some supplemental strength training for my legs.

I don't like feeling scrawny but I weigh 182 now, and I'd like to be 172 or so through the spring and summer this year. So I'll pay a little more attention to how much I eat.

On Mondays, I'll run 5-7 miles but run part of it at a faster pace for as long as possible. I will have to track the speed and distance so I figure out if I'm making any progress.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays will be easy runs.

Thursdays will be either hills or intervals.

Friday will be a shorter, easy run.

Saturday is long run day, my favorite day of the week.

Sunday is either a very slow recovery run or crosstraining of some sort.

And I'll continue to do my strength circuits m-w-f and add leg strength exercises.

No comments: