Saturday, January 05, 2008

Saturday - Long Run Day - Red Nose Marathon

Today is sort of an unusual day for a couple of reasons. First, I ran the Columbus Red Nose Marathon and second, today is my longest run since 1982, when I was a Second Lieutenant in the Army.

I've been doing 20 mile runs for a while now and just figured that 26 would be OK as long as I kept to my normal long run pace, which is about 9:45 when I do 20 mile runs. I really enjoy my long runs, so I was pretty excited about tacking on an extra 6 or so miles.

So my time wasn't great, 4:23:23, but I'm running tomorrow again and will do a 20-miler with a friend this coming weekend in preparation for the Snickers Albany Marathon in March.

It was still very enjoyable, my knees didn't hurt, and I didn't have any major pain at all until mile 25 when I stepped on a rock or something. That sucked. But I was back at the car shortly after that, then I was taking a hot shower at the YMCA, and now I'm working and trying to sneak some chips & salsa in between customers.

One of the coolest moments on the run today was when I had crossed onto Fort Benning, just past Oxbow Meadows, at about 6:45am, and 2 Army guys wearing full gear came out of the mist just across the long wooden bridge. I was able to say hello & find out they were Army Lieutenants getting ready to attend Ranger School & doing a 12 mile ruck march to prepare. I said 'hooah' and ran past them. Very motivating. I got my tab with Ranger Class 8-88... seems like a very long time ago.

So anyway, that's my day so far. An invigorating 26.2 mile run, then working until 6. Man am I hungry!

I'll run 3-4 miles tomorrow and then it's back to the normal routine next week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the marathon! I know it is no big deal to you to complete one but I am sure it does feel rewarding to know you can run one and not have any adverse effects. I think my feet have pretty much healed enough for me to start back running. I probably will not be training for any marathons but I will be trying to get in shape for triathlons.

Stefanie said...

Congrats on the marathon. I am way impressed.

I am thinking about doing the Snickers Half so maybe I will see ya there!