Friday, July 21, 2006

Finally

When I started running again after being away for a couple of years, I wanted to get to the point where I was running 6 miles a day comfortably, every day or nearly every day. 6 miles a day was my usual run before I started commuting to NYC and gained weight. That goal just seemed unattainable. I weighed 245 pounds, I could barely run 10 minutes, my knees hurt, my neck hurt, I felt horrible. In December 2003 I started walking and running again. It has been a struggle to stay motivated and injury free, but I've made my first goal. A 6-mile run now feels like the easiest thing in the world when I run it at a comfortable pace. I much prefer 8 miles and ran 10 miles a couple of weeks ago.

Probably the best feeling in the world is to get up, run, then cool off in the pool before I come back to the house and get dressed for work.

So what's next? I think I'd like to increase my weekly long run up about a mile per week until I hit 28 miles. It's tough to do that here in the summer, but I'll start doing more 10 mile runs on Saturday and maybe 12 or 14 in August.

No comments: