Sunday, July 01, 2007

Summer Solstice Run

I ran the Summer Solstice 5k yesterday here in Columbus. I missed it last year but made time for it this year, and I'm glad I did. It was close to my house, the weather cooperated, and it gave me a chance to sleep in on Saturday morning.

The race had lots of volunteers. There was water at 3 different places on the course (it looped, so that was plenty), and the course was well marked. Drinks and food afterwards. The Columbus Road Runners did a great job organizing it and running everything. I will definitely do it again next year.

My plan was to run 7:00 minute miles or thereabouts, but I couldn't seem to get there. I ran 7:03, then 8:02, then 8:30 or something, then 7:10 or so for the last bit. I was truly whipped. Oh well... it was 94°... and hilly... so I don't feel so bad.

This coming week it will be 7-8 mile runs at 4:30 am, then probably 10-12 on Saturday. I want to get a 20-miler in by the 3rd week of August. Rick leaves for camp on the 6th, so that day will most likely by a lunch run w/ hills at the North Marina.

No comments: