Thursday, December 13, 2007

WCAP Runner's blog - Thursday

Swam 1 mile, ran 6 miles. I'm really enjoying the swimming again. I swam last winter too, I need to go back through my entries to see why I stopped... but I'm liking it again so far.

When I had my store in Auburn, College Street Sports, I was lucky to have some great athletes work for me. Brian Abshire, Carlos Gibbs, Demarcus Curry, Leonard Thomas, Jenna Yancey to name a few (google them- Abshire ran a 13:20 5K at Carlsbad, then ran in the Olympics... Demarcus played for Tampa Bay... Leonard played CFL...Jenna's done the Hawaiin Ironman numerous times)and actually helped place Carlos into the Army World Class Athlete Program. At that time (1996) there were a bunch of WCAP guys in Auburn training for the steeplechase. Quite a few went to the Trials, although none made the Olympic Team.

Anyway...I just ran across a post in the Runner's World forums and found Nate Pennington's blog. He's a WCAP runner, a marathoner, and he was the the fastest American at the California International Marathon just a couple of weeks ago. Ran a 2:19:35 in that race. We'll be looking for him in the 2012 Olympics???

No comments: