Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hydration Systems & Fueling

This morning it was 79°F with 86% humidity. I go out to run for an hour or so, lose about 6 pounds in the process, and then try to work out again at lunch. Nearly impossible for me unless I hydrate during my run, giving me a headstart for the lunch and evening workouts, which are typically swimming & then either weights or cycling. In hot, humid conditions it really helps to have a well-tested plan to stay hydrated. I try to drink fluids during the summer that have a high sodium content, so that means sports drink mixes. I've experimented with a few and found that diluted gatorade & salt works, if I mix the Gatorade from the powdered mix. I also have a case of CeraSport. CeraSport works even better for me, but it's expensive... I don't mix that at all.

For carrying my liquid, I've been switching out between these three hydration systems this summer:

Camelbak FlashFlo 45 ounce


The Camelbak FlashFlo holds 45 ounces, according to its hang tag. 96 cubic inch cargo capacity. At 45 ounces it's easy to run with. However, the waist strap loosens as I run. Probably every 10 minutes or so I have to tighten it. It also chafes against my back when I run shirtless (Body Glide fixed that chafing issue.) The drinking tube is easy to reach and exactly the right length for me; it clips to the waist straps when not in use. There's a toggle switch on the tube that allows the liquid to come out; it's important to flip that toggle switch after you drink, otherwise the liquid will go back into the bladder.

I can store my drink mixes in one of 2 back pockets, and my gels, keys, ID etc in the other back pocket. For cold weather, there's a way to strap a shirt onto the back pocket area. This is a great, well designed hydration pack.

This is probably my favorite system as long as I know I can refill it during a long (20+ mile)run. It's easy to refill- you stop, unzip the largest pocket to get at the bladder, pull it out and fill. Very easy, and easy to use with drink mixes at a water fountain. I usually pour the mix in, fill it with water, shake it up, then stick the bladder back in, zip it up and start running again. On a 20 mile run in hot, humid weather I go through almost exactly 2 FlashFlo's worth of liquid.


Camelbak Mule 100 ounce


I'll be the first to admit: this bugger is heavy. It's a load, espescially when you put other stuff in the pockets. 3 liters of liquid and a 9 liter cargo capacity. Plus, a weather resistant mp3 player pocket at the very top... So what do I put in the pockets? Gels, food, drink mix, keys, ID, cell phone, an extra shirt, whatever... there's a lot of capacity. I use the 100-ouncer when it's hot, humid and I don't know absolutely that I can get a refill on a long, long run. Call me crazy, but sometimes I fill it up all the way and use it on shorter runs just to get used to it. Even full, it's not that bad. Look, there are soldiers running farther than me in hotter conditions with heavier packs. It's all relative.

The drinking tube on this one comes with an L-shaped connector, so the liquid is there and easy to get to without having to flip a valve switch or anything. Drinking from a Camelbak is a breeze. I normally just put the hose in my mouth and keep running. Nothing ever gets spilled and I don't swallow any air. Plus, there are insulated tubes to use in the winter, when things tend to freeze up.

There's a water resistant mp3 player pocket at the very top of the pack. Skeptical at first, I placed a cell phone in it and went on a 20 mile run in very hot, humid conditions. At the end of the run, the entire pack was soaking wet... but the water resistant pocket, and the cell phone, were perfectly dry! So I've put my iPod in it and gone on long runs since, knowing that it won't get wrecked.

Sometimes I take the 100 ounce bladder out and replace it with a 70-ounce bladder... then it's very, very manageable. The big, 100-ounce capacity Mule with a 70-ounce bladder inside is an AWESOME camelbak to run with. You get all the storage capacity inside, but it just weighs less because you're carring 30 ounces less liquid.

Wearing this camelbak I don't chafe at all on my shoulders when running shirtless. It's padded in the back and the unit rests comfortably against my skin. Inside, the cargo area is really well thought out, everything is easy to get to. 3 zippered pockets in the back, plus a large mesh storage area. Straps on the front for extra cases (gels,phone,mp3 player, whatever). Padded shoulder straps, plus a waist belt and chest tightening strap.

I always seem to start out a little more slowly when I fill up the 100 ounce bladder, but after a couple of miles I don't even notice it.


Nathan Speed 4 (4 10-ounce bottles)


When it's colder outside, and I only want to bring essentials and I know I can count on water resupply, I use this one. It's very comfortable. I know a few runners who use only the back 2 bottles since the front 2 can interfere with their arm motion. I've run with all 4 10-ounce bottles filled, and it didn't bother me. There's room in the back pouch for about 5 gel packs, or 1 Hammer Gel bottle, or a cell phone. There's also a smaller front pocket. I usually put my car key & ID in the front pocket, then put gels in the back. The Speed4 comes in sizes, and I use a medium. It uses Velcro to fasten, and it's elastic, so you can loosen it or tighten it during the run if it starts to bother you. When I tighten it up, it doesn't bounce around. I've never had chafing issues with this one. I like the Speed4 a lot and used it exclusively through the winter here. The only thing I don't like about it is that I tend to spill liquid when I drink from the bottles. Also, they are hard to drink from when it's below freezing (go figure).

Conclusion
I went through a lot of different hydration systems... water bottle carriers, camelbaks, fuel belts, handheld bottles... these are just the ones that work best for me and have been readily available to purchase locally. You will probably end up with a few yourself before you find one that works best for your running style. I'll probably see something tomorrow that I want to try next.

Hydration Links:

Camelbak site
Nathan Sports site
Cera Sports
Gatorade Fluid Loss Calculator
Hammer Nutrition
Runner's World: "Drink This
UltRunR Hydration Page

No comments: