Saturday, October 27, 2007

Saturday

This morning was one of those really great runs. I did a 15-mile out-and-back at the Riverwalk, starting about 6am. Clear skies, about 50 degrees, full moon, starry sky. As I ran in the dark alongside the Chattahoochee River, the moon was over my right shoulder. About 2 miles into the run, the trail enters a wooded area with a lot of twists and turns and then a mile later into a big open area, then back into the woods, then back into the open. Best part of the run, for sure... I had planned on doing 18 but got a late start.

It looks like we'll have a new 5K coming up in November, on the 17th, in conjunction with the God Bless Fort Benning celebration. Every year in Columbus there's an annual protest against the School of the Americas, which used to be at Fort Benning. Basically a bunch of spoiled, naive college kids and some professional protesters show up in town, stand around the gates of Fort Benning, eat granola, chant, and then form into a drum circle. It's just ridiculous. The college kids even get course credit for doing this. The God Bless Fort Benning celebration is a counter to that, and draws about 20,000 people for several days. So anyway, this year the venue has been changed for the God Bless Fort Benning celebration, and it looks like there may be a 5K involved on November 17th.

2 comments:

Ben G said...

Please let me know if you hear anything about the 5K. My wife and I were looking at one in Atlanta on Sunday the 18th but if there is one locally I want to do it.

mike said...

I will- I check the Columbus Roadrunners site just about every day to see if there is more information.

-Mike