Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday

There's a good article on The Importance of Protein for Endurance Athletes on the Badwater site.

My son left some protein powder in his room when he went back to school, and I've been adding it to milk and even to Gatorade, after my long runs, for the past month. I can tell a difference. Now I even have my own protein powder, both whey protein and soy protein, and in different flavors... I drink it after lifting (soy protein) and after running (whey protein).

2 comments:

Ben G said...

Why choose the different types for the two activities? Does one do better after lifting weights and the other after a run?

mike said...

I've used whey protein a lot over the years, and I've used soy protein occasionally... so now I use both. And the consensus from what I've read is that using both is good. They sort of complement each other. Whey protein digests more quickly, while soy protein digests more gradually. Whey protein is high in branched chain amino acids, while soy protein is high in the amino acids arginine and glutamine. After I run is when I really want the protein in my system more quickly, so that's when I use the whey protein. I use the soy protein after I lift.