Friday, November 09, 2007

Friday

Made it to the gym at 5 for my weight workout. I'm up to 5 sets of 20 of the crossfit glute-ham situp, which I do in between sets of decline bench and bench. I go through everything pretty quickly and am finished with the entire workout in about 30 minutes. I'll probably just add reps to that situp, not sets. I'd like to get to 5 sets of 50.

I've been able to get out for a run at lunch this week pretty easily, so I'll do the same thing today and update the distance tonight.

One thing I've noticed is that drinking the carb/protein shakes after both the weight workout and the run workout has really made a huge difference in my energy level and my ability to keep doing 2 workouts a day most days. I usually mix CeraSport & protein powder. For runs, I mix it up ahead of time in a 32-ounce Nalgene bottle and just keep it in the car for when I finish. After weights, I mix it in a blender when I get home. After 15-20 mile or longer runs, I follow that up with some additional drinks, usually by buying a gatorade or similar and then mixing some protein powder into it. I'm not gaining any weight from it... just feeling better. More energy, stronger...

On last Saturday's run, I ran the last 7.5 miles with a tall 27-yr old, 210-lb ex-college quarterback, lean and in great shape, who was doing 8-minute miles until he was saddled with me as a running partner and had to slow down to 8:40. Talking to him, he was saying that he's stopped the lower body weight workouts except for lunges, which he said really helped him, but he was still doing the upper body. He ended up running 21 miles Saturday. He said that he follows up both his weight workout and running workouts with the protein mix, so it sort of confirmed what I had been thinking myself about it.

No comments: