Saturday, November 17, 2007

Saturday



I decided to run the God Bless Fort Benning 5K this morning. About 200 runners showed up. It was pretty cold, 35°, and this race was competing with another local 5K that was the last race in a 3-part series. I needed to decide whether to do a long run, do the 5K at Smiths Station, or do the Fort Benning 5K. I decided to do the Fort Benning race, and I'm glad that I did. I only wish that I could have stayed to enjoy more of the whole God Bless Fort Benning event, but I had to leave after the race.

This race course was a little different than the other one I've run in Uptown Columbus. This course took us down a hill toward the river, then after a long block it turned back and we had to go up a hill... this sort of took the wind out of my sails and I began cursing silently to myself... but got through it and through the first mile @ 6:45, which was my target. I was behind a group of 4 or 5 soldiers and ran with them pretty much until the 3rd mile, when 2 of them shot forward, 2 fell back, and I was left in the middle. I ended up with a 22:38 which was disappointing, but good enough for 1st in my age group. I think this route found all the hills in an area known for being flat as a pancake!

There were lots of soldiers at the event and as I watched the Rangers In Action demonstration, I looked to my right and there was radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger standing next to me.

No comments: