Saturday, November 03, 2007

Saturday

49° this morning when I got to the Riverwalk at 6am. Met Jack there, who I'd done some runs with before his Twin Cities marathon. Ran 5 miles with Jack, then continued to my turnaround point at Fort Benning, and met up with one of the Tennessee Tech football coaches who's in town (they play Auburn today in football). He is training for the St Jude Memphis Marathon. He had been clicking off 8:00 miles until he joined me for the 7.5 miles back to Rotary Park. He continued on, since he was running 20 this morning and I was only doing 15. I think he also sped up a little :-)

He slowed down for me, but we still averaged 8:40 miles for that 7.5 miles... so for me it was kind of hard. My half-marathon time today was 2:01:02, which is not too bad for a training run in my case. I've had faster, but normally it's a couple minutes slower than that.

But anyway, we were talking about the Olympic Marathon trials, which were this morning, and he knew Ryan Hall. Ryan Hall kicked it in the trials this morning, running a record qualifying time. Ryan Hall just seems like a great guy, as does Brian Sell, who came in 3rd. Brian works 20 hours a week in the Home Depot Garden Center when he's not running. It's a pretty cool outcome and I hope it gets people jazzed about the Olympic marathon.

So for me, a nice morning's run & good people to run with. Can't ask for much more than that!

No comments: